Can applying essential oils to the scalp help stimulate hair growth? We look at the evidence.
Best essential oils for hair growth
While more research is needed, some evidence does exist to suggest that essential oils can help hair to grow healthier and stronger. Examples include:
One study found that bergamot essential oil helps facilitate wound healing and reduce inflammation. This may help promote hair growth and a healthy scalp.
Another study found that bergamot displays antimicrobial activity when applied to the scalp.
Jojoba oil comes from the seeds of the Zizyphus jujube plant. According to one study, when jojoba oil was applied to shaved hair, it promoted faster hair growth than hair that did not have jojoba oil.
Some research found that peppermint oil promoted hair growth more effectively than topical applications of saline, jojoba oil, and minoxidil, which is a medication commonly used to treat hair loss.
The researchers also found that peppermint essential oil increased scalp thickness and the number of hair follicles. They also suggested that peppermint oil may help to promote a more rapid growth stage for hair in the body.
Peppermint oil contains menthol, which causes the blood vessels just under the skin to dilate. This additional blood flow could help to promote further hair growth.
Other essential oils that may be helpful in promoting hair growth include chamomile, rosemary, and sage oil.
Essential oils can be effective in even small amounts, as they are highly concentrated. However, it is crucial to mix essential oils with a carrier oil, such as olive, jojoba, or grapeseed.
To use essential oils for hair growth, a person should:
- Purchase essential oils from natural food stores or online. If a person has dry hair, carrier oils such as shea, coconut, or avocado oil may help moisturize the scalp. If a person’s hair is oilier, lighter oils, such as grapeseed, apricot kernel, or almond oil may be preferable.
- Mix 2 or 3 drops of the essential oils into a tablespoon of carrier oil. Essential oils are highly concentrated and must be diluted.
- Massage the mixture into the scalp vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes. Place the oil on the fingertips and start at the front of the scalp, rubbing in circles.
- Dip the fingers in the essential oil mixture periodically while working the oil into the sides of the scalp, the back of the hair, and the middle of the scalp. This application may stimulate blood flow to the scalp.
- Some people may want to leave the essential oils on overnight. Others may choose to rinse the scalp immediately.
Combining essential oils may also be beneficial. Popular combinations include rosemary, thyme, and lavender, or peppermint and lavender with coconut oil.
Essential oils and scalp massage may help stimulate hair growth related to inflammation or poor blood flow to the scalp.
Essential oils are very concentrated, so always mix them in small amounts with carrier oils before massaging them onto the scalp.
Some people may need repeated or frequent applications to see results from the essential oils. If a person does not experience their desired results, they can talk to a doctor about other options for reducing hair loss.
If you want to buy any of the essential oils listed in this article, then they are available online.
- Shop for bergamot oil
- Shop for jojoba oil
- Shop for peppermint oil
We picked linked items based on the quality of products, and list the pros and cons of each to help you determine which will work best for you. We partner with some of the companies that sell these products, which means Healthline UK and our partners may receive a portion of revenues if you make a purchase using a link(s) above.
Source: Read Full Article