Disabled pensioner, 79, dies after being left in agony for six hours

Disabled pensioner, 79, died after being left in agony for six hours when he scalded himself in the shower and his carer failed to properly check him

  • Alan Pavitt, 79, suffered burns after an accident in the shower at home
  • The pensioner slipped and turned on the hot tap in his bathroom in Romford
  • Carer did not check the whole house when she arrived late as he lay in agony
  • Mr Pavitt was found after six hours collapsed in the bath before dying in hospital

A disabled pensioner died after he was badly scalded while taking a shower and left for six hours because a carer failed to carry out a routine check on him.

Grandfather Alan Pavitt, 79, suffered severe burns after falling and accidentally knocking the hot tap on.

He should have been found by a home help at a 10am visit scheduled to coincide with when he had his daily wash. But she was late and told police she assumed the widower was out after letting herself in at 10.45am and finding the flat empty, claiming she did not try the bathroom door.

The carer claimed she returned at 1pm but had forgotten the key code so couldn’t let herself in. 

It wasn’t until 2pm when she went back for a second scheduled visit that Mr Pavitt, who lived alone in Romford, east London, was found collapsed in the bath. 

Alan Pavitt died after falling and turning his scalding hot tap on at home. He was left for six hours when his carer failed to check his house. Pictured with grandaughter Talia (10)

Alan Pavitt suffered severe burns after falling and accidentally knocking the hot tap on at home. He should have been found at 10am but was not discovered until 2pm

The grandfather was scalded and taken to hospital with 11 per cent burns when he was finally found in his bath at home

However, the carer failed to relay the severity of his condition to a 999 operator and it was around 4pm before he was taken to hospital with 11 per cent burns. 

The former postman, who had limited mobility after a previous stroke, developed kidney failure and died nine days later in March 2016.

Police investigated but found insufficient evidence to prosecute the carer or the firm she worked for, Westminster Homecare, in connection with Mr Pavitt’s death.

But senior coroner Nadia Persaud later ruled at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court that the ‘failure to check his whereabouts and wellbeing’ at 10am delayed treatment and contributed to his death.

Yesterday Mr Pavitt’s daughter-in-law Shelley Pavitt, 43, said she was still haunted by thoughts of him suffering alone for so long.

Alan Pavitt died after an accident in his Romford home after a carer from Westminster Homecare failed to find him slumped in his bathroom. Pictured right with wife Christine who died before he did

Former postman Alan Pavitt was left in agony. His family have said they have been left angry and upset over the thought of him alone and in pain. Pictured with wife Christine who died before he did

‘When we got to hospital he was in agony,’ she said. ‘There was literally no skin on his leg. He had been really sick because of the shock and had lost so much fluid from the burns that he had gone into kidney failure.’ 

She and her family are concerned about inconsistencies in the unnamed carer’s version of events and are taking legal action against Westminster Homecare for compensation.

Nicole Brendel from law firm Slater and Gordon, who is representing the family, said: ‘They cannot turn the clock back but by sharing their own painful experience they hope to stop these kind of mistakes happening to anyone else.’

Westminster Homecare has been contacted for a comment.

Source: Read Full Article